There was an Ockenden Martin baptised in Cowfold, Sussex, 17 June 1632, the son of Thomas Martin, but this would make him 50 when he married. On 11 January 1662 a Jane Martin was baptised in Cowfold
'baseborn daughter of Ockenden Martin begotten of the body of Mary Martin, whom he later married'.
Mary Holseard ( - )
They were married in Henfield 20 April 1682. Ockenden had propery at Dragons (14 acres?). He died in 1712 and was buried in Cowfold 16 June. Mary died in 1722 and was buried in Henfield 11 October.
Their children were all born in Henfield:
John Martin was baptised born 19 October 1682. See next.
Thomas Martin was baptised 15 September 1684.
Martha Martin was baptised 8 July 1686.
Mary Martin was baptised 2 May 1688.
John Martin (1682 - 1745)
John was baptised in Henfield, Sussex, 19 October 1682.
Mary was baptised in West Grinstead, 9 February 1692.
They were married in West Grinstead 18 September 1712. John was 29, Mary was 21. John died aged 63, and was buried in Henfield 4 November 1745.
Their eight children were all born in Henfield:
Richard Martin *** was born 14 March 1714. See next.
John Martin was born 24 March 1718. His wife's name was Sarah (possibly Sarah Piercy who married 17 March 1745 in Edburton). Their children were Harry (1746), Elizabeth (1748), and John (1749, died in infancy).
Ann Martin was born 14 May 1720.
Thomas Martin was born 7 September 1722. He died aged 18 and was buried 2 February 1741.
William Martin *** was born 31 March 1725. He married Elizabeth Gatford in Henfield 22 September 1748. Their nine children were Thomas (1750), John (1752), William (1754, died in infancy),
Elizabeth (1755), Charles (1756), Ann (1758, died in infancy), George (1759), Mary (1763) and William (1764) ***.
Mary Martin was born 21 July 1727 but died before her first birthday. She was buried 11th April 1728.
James Martin was born 15 February 1729.
Peter Martin was born 1 December 1732 but died less than two months later. He was buried 26 January 1733.
Richard Martin *** (1714 - 1773)
Richard was baptised in Henfield, Sussex, 14 March 1714.
Sarah Hayne ( 171? - 1773)
Sarah was born in Henfield, either 27 November 1710 to John and Sarah Hayne or 19 June 1713 to John Hayne and Mary Holden.
Although they both lived in Henfield, they were married in Southwick, 30 April 1736, probably because she was more than seven months pregnant.
Both died in Henfield in 1773. Richard was buried 18 February aged 59, Sarah 22 July.
Their seven children were all born in Henfield:
Richard Martin was baptised 14 June 1736. He married Mary Cook in Henfield, 27 December 1756. Their children were William (1758), Phoebe (1761), Mary (1763), Ann (1765) and Richard (1768, died in infancy).
Mary died in 1770 and Richard married Mary Langly in Henfield, 7 January 1779. He died in 1807.
Charles Martin was born 21 January 1739.
Michael Martin *** was born 22 September 1746. See next.
Sarah Martin was born 15 April 1749 and died 3 months later.
James Martin was born 21 march 1752. His wife Lydia? was buried 24 Jan 1810.
Frances Martin was born 15 January 1755.
Sarah Martin was baptised 16 October 1758. She married Thomas Soper in Henfield, 22 January 1784.
Michael Martin *** (1746 - 1797)
Michael was born in Henfield, Sussex, 22 September 1746, but was living in Cowfold at the time of his marriage.
Sarah was baptised in Shipley, Sussex, 2 February 1752, but was living in Henfield at the time of her marriage.
They were married in Henfield 9 May 1775, when Michael was 28 and Sarah was 23.
Michael died aged 50 and was buried 7 June 1797 at Henfield. Sarah died aged 72 on 16 March 1823. She was 'of West Grinstead' but was buried in Henfield with her husband.
Their two children were both born in Cowfold:
Sarah Martin *** was baptised 4 November 1778. She married James Pollard, in Cowfold, 25 September 1804, two years after the birth of their first child and two months before their second.
They had four daughters, Sarah (1802), Frances (1804), Mary Martin (1806) *** and Sarah (1808). Sarah died in 1837 and was buried with her parents.
John Martin *** was baptised 12th December 1784. See next.
John Martin *** (1784 - 1859)
John was baptised 12th December 1784 in Cowfold, Sussex. He married twice.
He married his first wife, Hannah Davie, in Horsham, 11th July 1805. They were both 20 years old. This marriage produced two children, John, who was baptised 20 September 1807, and James, who was baptised 26 June 1809.
John, junior, married Louisa Brown in 1827 and had 2 children, John (1827) and William (1829). Hannah died at the age of 26 and was buried in Henfield, 18 March 1811.
Jane was born about 1779 (from her age on the 1841 census and when she died). She was living in Cowfold at the time of her marriage.
They were married in Cowfold 25 October 1813, when John was 28 and Jane about 34. The witnesses at the wedding were John's sister Sarah and her husband, James Pollard.
John's occupation is given as 'farmer' or 'farm labourer' from 1814 to 1841, but as a 'road surveyor' in 1844.
They were living at God's Hill in 1841. John's signature appears in the Cowfold church register as witness to several marriages.
Jane died aged 69 and was buried in Cowfold 10 September 1848.
After Jane's death John is found living with his son, Richard, at Foices Cottages, Cowfold. On the 1851 census his occupation is given as "surveyor of highways and paid constable" (aged 66).
He died, aged 75, in Cuckfield, Sussex, and was buried there 20 November 1859.
Their children were all born in Cowfold:
Jane Martin was baptised 20 March 1814.
Richard Martin *** was baptised 21 January 1816. He married Lucy Carter in Cowfold 13 April 1844. In 1851 they were living at Foices Cottages, Beeding, Cowfold, and in 1861 at East End Lane, Slaugham.
Their children were Mary (1845) ***, George (1848), Louisa (1850), Ann (1852), William (1854/5), Charles (1857) ***, James (1859) and Henry (1864).
Richard died in 1866 and was buried in Slaugham 28 December. Lucy married William Shaw there 3 May 1873.
Hannah Martin was baptised 31 August 1817.
Charles Martin *** was baptised 25 June 1820. See next.
Mary was baptised 6 May 1834 in Cowfold. In 1851 she was living at Foices Cottages, Cowfold, the same address as Charles' brother, Richard, and where Charles' father, John, was also living.
They were married in Cowfold, 30 August 1851. Charles was 31, Mary was 17 and six months pregnant. Their address in 1861 and 1871 was Burnt House, Cowfold (see map).
This house, in Burnthouse Lane, was still inhabited in 1984.
In 1878 they were living at Westlands, West Grinstead, and in 1881 the address was God's Hill Cottage, Cowfold.
Charles died between 1881 and 1891 (1885?). Mary was housekeeper to George Laker (widower)'s family at Dragon's Green, Shipley in 1891 and at Worth, East Grinstead in 1901.
They had ten children, all born in Cowfold:
Mary Ann Martin was baptised 30 Nov 1851.
William Martin *** was baptised 20 Aug 1854. He first married Ann Mary Still (born 1849) in Nuthurst in 1874. This marriage produced five children, Charles William (1875, died in infancy),
Maria Harriet (1876), Elizabeth Mary (1878), Matilda (1880), and George Henry (about 1882). Ann died in 1883 and he married Jane Stringer (born 1853) in 1885. They lived in Southwick, Sussex,
where William was a tram driver. There were six children by this marriage, Rosina (1886), Lilian Mary (1888), William Leslie (1890), Alfred Thomas (1892), Henry James (1893) *** and
Leonard Maurice (1895). William died in May 1908, Jane in February 1909.
Sarah Martin was baptised 17 April 1857, and died two weeks later.
Jane Martin *** was baptised 20 Feb 1859. She married Harry Wells in Cowfold in 1877.
In 1881 the family was living with her parents at God's Hill Cottage. They later lived in East Ham and Barking, Essex.
Their children were Louisa (c.1877), William H. (c.1879), Frederick (c.1882), Elizabeth (1883) ***, Alfred (c.1888) and Jane (c. 1893).
Henry Martin *** was baptised 15 December 1861. A gas fitter, he married Olive Backshall in 1881, and lived in Southwick and Portslade. They had three children, Kate (c.1888),
Frederick *** (1891) and Ruth (c.1895).
John Martin *** was born 16 January 1865. See next.
Elizabeth Martin was baptised 28 June 1868. She married Thomas Parsons in Southwick, Sussex, 19 March 1887.
Charles Martin *** was baptised 17 February 1871. A blacksmith and engineer, he married Annie Bristow and lived in Lindfield, Sussex.
Their children were James Charles (c.1898), Victoria May (1901), Marguerite Annie (1802) ***, Eric William (1807) and Ivy Frances (1909). Charles died in Brighton in 1948.
James Martin was baptised 29 June 1873. A gas works labourer, he married Catherine Emily ..... and lived in Southwick and Portslade, near Brighton. They had one child, Margaret Emily (1901). James is listed as deaf in 1901.
George Martin *** as born 6 April 1878. His wife's name was Rose, and they had two daughters, Winifred Edith (c.1906) and Dorothy Rose (c.1908). George served in WW1.
John Martin *** (1865 - 1933)
John was born 16 January 1865 at Burnt House, Cowfold, Sussex, where he was a farm labourer when he was 16. In 1891 he was boarding at Southwick, Sussex, where he was working as a general labourer.
Shortly after this he went to London and worked there as a horse-drawn tram driver and was known as Jack. His address in 1894 was 11 Staveley Road, Peckham.
Ellen Golding *** (1872 - 1959)
Ellen was born 26 February 1872 at New Lodge Farm, Kenny Hill, near Lakenheath in Suffolk, one of nine children. She went into domestic service, in Auchincruive, Ayrshire, and at Langleybury Mansion in Hertfordshire (1891).
Shortly after this, Ellen (known as Nellie) and her sister, Priscilla, went to London and opened a coffee shop in Asylum Road, Peckham. Her address in 1894 was 201 Asylum Road.
It was at this coffee shop, frequented by tram drivers and conductors, that Ellen and her sister met their future husbands. John (known as Jack) and Nellie were married 7 November 1894 at St. Jude's Church,
Peckham. He was 29, she was 22. They lived at 31 Whittington Road and at Burchell Road, Peckham. In the early years of the 20th century the horse-drawn trams were replaced by electric trams.
Jack dabbled in herbal remedies and this was said to be the cause of his 'going a bit funny'. Whatever the cause, one night in 1933 he was taken away forcibly by men in white coats.
They took him to the Cane Hill Mental Hospital in Coulsdon, where he died on 11 November the same year at the age of 68.
Nellie continued to live in Peckham for a year or two, but after the last of her family (John) was married, she moved back to Suffolk, where she lived with her widowed sister, Kathleen, in the Post Office at Holywell Row, near Mildenhall.
On visiting her there one summer her son, Cecil, felt she was being treated as a servant by her sister, and in 1949 he fetched her to live with his family in Scotland. She died in Dundee 4 October 1959, aged 87.
Their children were all born in Peckham:
Albert Edwin Martin was born 25 August 1896.
On the 1901 census four-year-old 'Berty' was with his Golding grandparents in Holywell Row, near Mildenhall, in Suffolk. He married his first wife, Hilda G Ayre, in Camberwell, London, in 1922,
and had one son, Reginald Edwin (1923). They divorced and Albert married Amy Lillian Merrick in 1939. They lived at Farm Close, Coney Hall, Kent. Bert worked as a railway signalman,
and died at work 19 April 1941 during an air-raid. He was buried at Coney Hall. A daughter, Iris Edwina, was born later that year.
John Walter Martin was born 30 April 1899. He married Florence E Ripper in Southwark in 1934, and they lived in Peckham.
There were no children of this marriage, though Flo had a daughter, Dorrie, from a previous relationship.
Winifred Theophilla Ellen Martin was born April 1901 and died 3 months later. (Theophilla, or Theo, was a friend of the family).
Cecil Owen Martin *** was born 10 December 1904. See next.
Cecil Owen Martin *** (1904 - 1986)
Cecil was born 10 December 1904 at 31 Whittington Road, Peckham, SE London, and also lived in Burchell Road, Peckham. He attended Leo Street School, but his education was interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War.
When the teachers went off to fight, the older pupils took responsibility for educating the younger ones. After school Cecil became an engineer, but found himself out of work at the time of the depression.
He took work as a sound effects man (1926/27) on silent films and also toured with a theatrical company. In "Mr Cinders", starring Bobby Howes and Binnie Hale, he played a chauffeur, driving a car onto the stage (1928/29).
After this he worked as a mechanic and lorry driver for the Remington Cash Register Co. in London.
Gladys May Saville *** (1905 - 1991)
Gladys was born 27 November 1905 at Aspinal Road, Brockley, and also lived at 54 Arica Road, Brockley, and 77 Ivydale Road, Nunhead (from 1912). She attended Mantle Road School, then worked as a shop assistant.
The family moved to "Hornby", 51 Pickhurst Lane, Hayes, Kent in 1933, shortly before her marriage.
They were married 12th August 1933 at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Hayes. He was 28, she was 27.
Gladys' great-uncle, Edmund Hornby Grimani,
had recently died, leaving her mother a substantial sum of money. Through this, Cecil and Gladys were able to buy a house at 46 Kingsway, Coney Hall, Beckenham, Kent, where their two children were born.
The National Cash Register Co. took over the Remington, and Cecil was given a light engineering job in their factory in Marylebone Road. On the outbreak of the Second World War, the factory was taken over
for armourments, and this was where Cecil worked throughout the war years.
In 1944 they moved to "Hornby", the house till then owned by Gladys' parents, and spent many nights in an air-raid shelter there. After the war, in 1946, the N.C.R. opened a new factory in Dundee,
and Cecil was one of about twenty men who were given the opportunity to move there and set up the new factory. The family joined him the following year and they were given a council house at
19 Helmsdale Place, Kirkton, where they lived until 1952. Cecil's mother, Ellen Golding, lived with them from 1949 until
her death in 1959. Along with other NCR workers they built a house in Errol Road, Invergowrie. The houses weren't numbered but had to be given names, and
Cecil and Gladys chose "Lyndhurst", for no particular reason.
When they were first married Cecil and Gladys had spent holidays at a boarding house in Hastings. Now living in Scotland, they were to make the 550-mile journey with their family every summer by car to the south of England
to visit Gladys' parents at 'Little Hornby', in Herne Bay, Kent. At that time there were no motorways and few dual carriageways, so the journey took 18 hours or more. After Gladys' parents had both died, they continued to make the same journey,
albeit on better roads, and rented a bungalow near to 'Hornby' which was now owned by Gladys' niece, Daphne. Their first time abroad was in 1972 (aged 67 and 66) by train to visit their son and his family in Germany.
Later (1978 - 1982) they also flew several times to Germany for the same purpose.
Cecil never liked his name and chose to be known as "Cyril" when they moved to Scotland. His position was job-foreman. He had been promised a higher position as an incentive to move to Scotland, but this never happened.
He retired from the N.C.R. in 1969. His interests were fishing, gardening and listening to radio amateurs. Gladys made teddy-bears and other soft toys. Cecil died suddenly at home (still the same house
in Invergowrie, though it now had a number) 23 April 1986, aged 81. After this Gladys' health deteriorated. She lived for a time at St. Margaret's Home, Victoria Road, Dundee, then at Ashludie Hospital,
Monifieth, where she died 8 November 1991, almost 86 years old.
Cecil and Gladys left a son, a daughter and four grandchildren.